When Emily was first born, I was drinking caffeine. Not much, maybe a cup of coffee a day. Then, we discovered that Em did not do well with the caffeine, so I cut it out of my diet. She started sleeping better and was less fussy during the day.
I pumped milk during this time I was drinking caffeine and recently tried to give it to Emily. As babies grow older, they are able to tolerate caffeine better. Unfortunately, when I gave it to Emily recently, she was up all. night. long. Apparently, Emily is still not ready for caffeine. Which is fine, I don't mind not having caffeine, but I had about 75 ounces of milk I pumped that I couldn't give to her. Anyone who has ever breastfed knows what that's like. I did not want that milk to go to waste.
Enter Human Milk 4 Human Babies.
HM4HB is an organization aimed at getting babies breast milk whose mother's otherwise cannot provide it for them, or cannot provide enough. Often times you will see women who have adopted or who have twins looking for extra milk. It's a great way to help other women and other babies! Typically you can find a local group on Facebook, allowing you to connect with women locally. I found a woman nearby who was in need of milk, and I was happy to donate it! Maria stopped by and picked up 75 ounces of milk for her 6-month old daughter, Bree!
I pumped milk during this time I was drinking caffeine and recently tried to give it to Emily. As babies grow older, they are able to tolerate caffeine better. Unfortunately, when I gave it to Emily recently, she was up all. night. long. Apparently, Emily is still not ready for caffeine. Which is fine, I don't mind not having caffeine, but I had about 75 ounces of milk I pumped that I couldn't give to her. Anyone who has ever breastfed knows what that's like. I did not want that milk to go to waste.
Enter Human Milk 4 Human Babies.
HM4HB is an organization aimed at getting babies breast milk whose mother's otherwise cannot provide it for them, or cannot provide enough. Often times you will see women who have adopted or who have twins looking for extra milk. It's a great way to help other women and other babies! Typically you can find a local group on Facebook, allowing you to connect with women locally. I found a woman nearby who was in need of milk, and I was happy to donate it! Maria stopped by and picked up 75 ounces of milk for her 6-month old daughter, Bree!
This is kind of a "buyer-beware" type of thing. Usually the women who are donating their milk are good people and upfront about what may be in the milk (e.g., caffeine, medications, etc.), however, you can't be 100% sure. Given that you usually meet the woman who is donating/receiving milk, it makes everything seem a lot safer.
Anyone else ever used this or any other organization to donate/receive milk?


I did not use any organization but I donated milk for a friend, I gave her 100oz of milk and felt so good to help :)
ReplyDeleteI have been on the receiving end of a few women generously giving us frozen milk for our son.... I can't explain the overwhelming emotions that goes with receiving such a blessing that you yourself so desperately want to give your baby. I only have about 1/2 the supply that our son needs and pumping about every 1 1/2 hours to try and increase my supply too.
ReplyDeleteSo great that you have been able to utilize such a wonderful organization! I have now donated twice, and hope to do so again!
Delete