Raise your hand if you're a child of the 80's... Keep your hand raised if you wore legwarmers...
I know there are a few pictures floating around of me in legwarmers as a child. Partly because of the time period and partly because I think my sister helped dress me.
Legwarmers are amazing and lately it seems I can't get on Etsy without seeing dozens of baby legwarmers. It makes sense. They're adorable and practical. Just think, you don't have to remove pants while changing a diaper! One less step! Plus, how cute do those chunky baby rolls look in leg warmers?!
Anyway, I was determined to make some for our baby girl, rather than buying them. There are some really cute ones on Etsy with bows and ruffles and such, which is way beyond my crafting abilities, but these will do for everyday use! I found a tutorial online (here) for a no-sew version, which is right up my alley.
I know there are a few pictures floating around of me in legwarmers as a child. Partly because of the time period and partly because I think my sister helped dress me.
Legwarmers are amazing and lately it seems I can't get on Etsy without seeing dozens of baby legwarmers. It makes sense. They're adorable and practical. Just think, you don't have to remove pants while changing a diaper! One less step! Plus, how cute do those chunky baby rolls look in leg warmers?!
Anyway, I was determined to make some for our baby girl, rather than buying them. There are some really cute ones on Etsy with bows and ruffles and such, which is way beyond my crafting abilities, but these will do for everyday use! I found a tutorial online (here) for a no-sew version, which is right up my alley.
All you need: women's knee-high socks (Target has a bunch of fun ones for $2.50 a pair), an iron, iron-on fusing web, and scissors (not pictured, but y'all know what scissors look like).
Then you cut the socks at the ankle. I still haven't figured out what to do with the bottom half of the sock, but there has to be something! I'll check Pinterest...
Flip the sock inside out and iron it. Then, make a little pocket at the cut end for the fusing web to go in. You need a strip long enough to wrap all the way around the sock. Cover with a towel and iron for about 30 seconds on each side, longer if it needs it.
Allow the sock to cool, then flip it back right-side out and look how freaking cute these are.
I couldn't resist the flamingo socks! Can't wait to see our little girl in these!
As with all of baby's clothes, make sure you wash the socks ahead of time. Also, if the fusing web starts to not hold anymore, just repeat the steps, as needed. If you're feeling extra adventurous, feel free to add ribbons and bows as your little heart desires! Just think of the options when holiday socks come out!!





Couple things...
ReplyDeleteLeg warmers WERE/ARE/WILL ALWAYS BE ah-mazing. We had pink and yellow for sure--I remember them well and miss them often.
Bottom of socks?? Put elastic around cut-off area for matching mittens--babies wear these during infacy to keep them from scratching their faces.
Lastly, I wrote this FOR YOU; thanks for not reading...
http://www.lindsaymcallisterzarse.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-best-mom-tip-ever-oh-and-something.html