Tuesday, March 19, 2013

35 Weeks!

Well, here I am at 35+ weeks. You may be thinking, "how will you make this week memorable?" Well friends, I decided to kick off this week with a trip to labor and delivery! Which, I don't necessarily recommend...

I've been feeling contractions for a while now, but that's completely normal, and expected at this point in the game. However, Sunday morning I woke up feeling contractions low in my abdomen, extending to my lower back, and happening pretty frequently. I tried timing them, but they seemed to never really stop. If you read anything about what to do before you're full term (37 weeks), it will tell you to call your doctor at this point. I chose not to. I felt it would be silly to bother my doctor on a Sunday when she was probably off doing non-doctor things with her family. (I should mention my doctor has me at about 36 1/2 weeks now, so they're less worried about the whole pre-term thing.)

Overnight on Sunday I woke up a couple times to some more painful contractions. By Monday morning I was still feeling them regularly, so I called the doctor's office when it opened at 8am. I was instructed to head into labor and delivery to get monitored. Which is exactly what I wanted to do on a Monday morning...

Reluctantly we went to labor and delivery, knowing we would be home in a few hours. The triage nurse hooked me up to all sorts of monitors. We could hear Baby Girl's heartbeat, which was strong as ever. Shortly after getting there, I had my first episode of tachycardia, where my resting heart rate soared to above 160 beats per minute. This worried the nurse and doctors, so they immediately put me on oxygen, hooked me up to an IV, where I received 2 bags of fluid, and ordered an EKG. I had a couple more episodes like this, but they were able to keep them under control. I've had heart problems in the past, so this wasn't too startling for me. Baby Girl was unfazed by this, and continued with her task of kicking the monitors on my belly.

After the doctors checked me out and monitored me for sometime, the verdict came that I am in pre-labor with an irritable uterus. (Believe me, my uterus isn't the only thing that's irritated at this point.) Basically, this means I will continue to have these contractions pretty regularly until our princess decides to grace us with her presence. Unfortunately, they can't tell if this will be in the next few days, or the next few weeks. So until then, we wait.

And take belly pictures...

Here we are at 35 weeks. Took this picture in between contractions.
 
 Proof that Layla was there with me. Still in her role as sentry. 

We like to ask Layla "Who's in here?!" and point to my belly. Sometimes she jumps up and tries to "look" inside.

That's right. I'm rocking that VCU shirt. I know they lost Sunday in the A-10 championship, but I'm ready for the NCAA tournament! Bring it on Akron!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, I wish I'd thought of that chalkboard weekly announcement...or at least discovered pinterest while I was pregnant and able to utilize all the fun ideas! Also, back when I had time to actually scour pinterest at my leisure... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great way to keep up with the pregnancy. However, I have gotten lazier with the actual drawings on the chalkboard. I used to take time to do it, now I do it in about 30 seconds!

      Delete