Friday, March 29, 2013

Who will Baby be?

"I remember saying, I don't care either way, just as long as he or she is healthy, I'm OK."

~ Brad Paisley

I was driving around the other day, listening to Brad Paisley, because, well, why wouldn't I? And I started listening to the song "Anything Like Me." It of course got me really thinking about our precious Butterbean, and who she will be.

When we found out we were pregnant, we of course were overjoyed, and then, slightly panicked. I didn't really think much about the child we were bringing into the world until later. Now, I think about it almost everyday.

When we first found out our little Butterbean would be a girl, it became a lot more real. I immediately began thinking of names and who she would be like...

"I started wondering who she was gonna be. I thought Heaven help us, if she's anything like me."

~ Brad Paisley

(Yes, I'm taking some creative liberties and changing the he's to she's.)

While there are a lot of qualities of mine I'd be happy to pass down, there are, of course, some she'd probably be better off without. I'm blessed to come from long lines (on both sides) of strong, intelligent, sometimes stubborn, women. Women who can be as sweet as honey, or meaner than a rattlesnake. Mostly, women who you want on your side. I want our daughter to share in these traits. I hope she always feels comfortable and confident with who she is, and never feels the need to hide her true self. I hope she enjoys learning, never being satisfied with what she thinks she knows. And while I hope she doesn't let herself get pushed around, I also hope she knows how to pick her battles. I know I've missed out on some potentially great opportunities because of my stubbornness.

"It's safe to say that, I'm gonna get my payback, if she's anything like me."

~ Brad Paisley  

All and all, I was a pretty good kid. I got into some trouble, but what kid doesn't? I occasionally stayed out past curfew, or threw the unsupervised party (which, at the time, infuriated my mother, but knowing her, I have to think she was at least a little proud - those parties were amazing), but I made good grades and didn't have any run-ins with the law. Still, it worries me to think about what my daughter will be capable of. Especially when I remember my mom would make comments like, "I can't wait until you have kids of your own!" Somehow I don't think this was meant as a compliment...

"There's worse folks to be like. Oh, she'll be alright, if she's anything like me."

~ Brad Paisley

 

2 comments:

  1. Love that song. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember experiencing all these same feelings and having the same thoughts. We used to lay in bed and say over and over "I wonder what she'll look like, what she'll grow up to be.." Good luck to you, you're getting close! One thing you can count on for sure, is no matter what, she'll be perfect because she's yours!

    ReplyDelete